23/11/2014

Carlsen Wins, Defends World Championship Title In 11th Game

 



"It was a very tense position. When I got this ...b5 break, I understood that if he doesn't take, the position remains very tight," Anand said.
Instead of occupying the b-file, another way to play the position was to exchange his bishops for White's knights.
Since computers criticize the move 27...Rb4, what else did Anand consider? He also looked going one square farther with 27...Rb3. He then analyzed 28. Rb1 Rab8 29. Rxb3 Rxb3 30. Bxa5 Ra3 31. Bc7 Rxa4, "and I evaluated this as equal...I can't say why I suddenly decided to go for this exchange sac...It was a bad gamble and I was punished."
After that unexpected gambit, Team Carlsen began getting excited. Everyone, that is, except for Carlsen's father and manager.